This story is a part of, the place CNET covers the most recent information on probably the most unbelievable tech coming quickly.
wraps up Friday, with the Client Know-how Affiliation boasting of 40,000 attendees and a couple of,300 exhibitors whereas additionally providing a digital expertise for attendees who didn’t journey to Las Vegas amid COVID-19 considerations and the spike of the omicron variant.
The quantity is a far cry from 2019, during which upwards of. The present’s Friday conclusion is a day sooner than initially scheduled, carried out as a security measure after a number of bigger corporations corresponding to Microsoft, Google, AMD and Intel canceled or modified their in-person plans.
The CTA additionally touted that 30% of present’s attendees traveled internationally from 190 international locations. The CTA earlier had introduced that attendees touring from abroad to attend CES would obtain complimentary PCR testing as wanted to return residence, and all in-person attendees acquired self-testing kits at badge pickup.
A number of in-person attendees famous the smaller footprint and attendance numbers on the conference middle, posting photographs of CES halls that had been usually stuffed with extra attendees and exhibitors:
The present in any other case was nonetheless, however for a lot of main exhibitors the occasion was strictly digital. Within the two weeks main as much as CES 2022, corporations introduced their pivot to virtual-only plans, which started with T-Cellular. Amid the dropouts, the CTA mentioned that 143 new corporations signed as much as be on the in-person occasion over the identical time frame.
An announcement from Mercedes, which dropped out on Dec. 29, displays the views of many different corporations that held completely digital CES occasions.
“Because the well being and security of our prospects, companions, workers and company are our highest precedence, in view of the present scenario in reference to the COVID-19 virus, we have due to this fact determined to cancel Mercedes-Benz AG’s participation in CES 2022, after intensive consultations,” a spokesperson for the carmaker mentioned in an announcement.
We have listed out most of the corporations that swapped to an all-virtual or modified CES plan, together with their associated statements right here:
- GfK North America: On Dec. 30, analysis agency GfK North America introduced it was transitioning its automotive tech presentation right into a digital occasion. “Performing on rising considerations over worker well being, GfK is not going to current in particular person at CES 2022 in Las Vegas,” the corporate mentioned in a press launch.
- Mercedes-Benz: The automaker introduced on Dec. 29 that it’s canceling its bodily presence.
- Panasonic: Panasonic has shifted its press convention right into a digital occasion whereas retaining a “modified bodily footprint, with restricted on-site employees,” introduced CEO Megan Myungwon Lee on Dec. 29.
- Magna: “Magna’s management has determined to withdraw from CES 2022 and cancel the press convention on Jan. 5,” mentioned a spokesperson for the auto parts-maker by way of e mail. The corporate additionally tweeted its resolution on Dec. 29.
- AMD: “After cautious deliberation, AMD has determined to cancel our in-person presence at CES 2022 in Las Vegas and can as an alternative transition to a digital expertise. Whereas the AMD 2022 Product Premiere was all the time deliberate as a digital-only livestream, our in-person engagements will now transition to digital in the very best curiosity of the well being and security of our workers, companions and communities,” AMD mentioned in an announcement on Dec. 28. The corporate nonetheless plans to carry its scheduled bulletins on Jan. 4 as a part of its digital-only plans.
- OnePlus: The cellphone maker beforehand deliberate solely an unofficial presence in Las Vegas. However CNET confirmed on Dec. 28 that the corporate is scrapping its in-person plans, regardless. The information was reported earlier by Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman. OnePlus was rumored to be debuting the cellphone on the present, and on the Weibo social community that the cellphone’s reveal can be coming in January.
- Brunswick: The leisure marine firm introduced Dec. 28 that it shifted its plans to digital.
- Microsoft: “The well being and well-being of our workers is our final precedence. After reviewing the most recent information on the quickly evolving COVID surroundings, Microsoft has determined to not take part in-person at CES 2022,” the corporate mentioned in an announcement emailed late on Dec. 24. Microsoft mentioned it’s going to be a part of the present nearly.
- Google and Waymo: “We have been carefully monitoring the event of the omicron variant, and have determined that that is your best option for the well being and security of our groups,” a Google spokesperson mentioned. Alphabet-owned Waymo, which focuses on self-driving vehicles, made a comparable assertion on Dec. 23.
- GM: The corporate is not going to ship workers or executives to the present, Reuters reported on Dec. 23. CEO Mary Barra will ship her keynote speech on-line.
- Intel: The chipmaker mentioned that it’ll scale down its presence. “After consulting with well being officers and within the spirit of Intel’s security coverage, our plans for CES will transfer to a digital-first, reside expertise, with minimal on-site employees,” Intel mentioned on Dec. 23.
- Lenovo: “After carefully monitoring the present surrounding COVID-19, it’s in the very best curiosity of the well being and security of our workers, prospects, companions, and our communities to droop all on-site exercise in Las Vegas,” the corporate introduced via Twitter on Dec. 23.
- TikTok: “In mild of the rise in optimistic COVID-19 circumstances throughout the nation, TikTok has determined to host a digital TikTok CES expertise for our manufacturers and companions,” the corporate mentioned Dec. 22.
- AT&T: “The well being and security of our workers and prospects is a prime precedence, so we’ve got determined to forgo in-person participation at CES 2022,” a spokesperson mentioned Dec. 22.
- Meta: “Out of an abundance of warning and look after our workers, we can’t be attending CES in-person as a result of evolving public well being considerations associated to COVID-19,” the corporate mentioned Dec. 21.
- Twitter: “The protection and well being of our folks and our companions are our No. 1 precedence. With that in thoughts, as a result of spike in COVID-19 circumstances throughout the nation previously week, we have determined to cancel our in-person presence at CES subsequent month,” the corporate mentioned Dec. 21.
- Amazon and Ring: “Because of the shortly shifting scenario and uncertainty across the omicron variant, we are going to now not have an on-site presence at CES,” Amazon mentioned Dec. 21. A spokesperson for Ring, Amazon’s residence safety subsidiary, issued an equivalent assertion.
- Pinterest: The corporate introduced its change of plans on Dec. 21.
- Nvidia: The corporate has been “cautious from the beginning” and is about to ship a digital tackle on Jan. 4 at 8 a.m. PT, a spokesperson mentioned on Dec. 21.
- T-Cellular: The “overwhelming majority” of its workforce will not head to Vegas, although the corporate will stay a sponsor. “We’re prioritizing the security of our workforce and different attendees with this resolution,” the provider mentioned in an announcement on Dec 21. “T-Cellular’s complete workforce seems to be ahead to an in-person CES 2023, which we hope contains an onstage keynote in entrance of a reside viewers.”
Most of the corporations that changed their plans stored their product reveals and livestreams, a number of of which will be replayed on CNET’s primary YouTube channel and the CNET Highlights channel.
CNET editors hosted pre- and postshow commentary across the LG, Hyundai, Samsung and GM press conferences, all of which will be considered under. The LG livestream from Tuesday is right here:
The Hyundai livestream is right here:
Samsung’s press convention will be replayed right here:
And Wednesday’s GM occasion is right here:
Over on the CNET Highlights channel, you’ll be able to replay a number of different CES press convention livestreams with out the extra commentary. Right here is the checklist of the livestreams you will discover, and to replay simply click on on the corresponding hyperlink.
You will additionally discover different CNET video protection from CES 2022 on our web site and YouTube channel.